Sunday, March 13, 2022

Cloudy Days, Sleet and Spring



Sitting here at the kitchen table, looking out over the field, there is finally the possible  hint of Spring in the air. No it is not sunny and 50 degrees out. And no, there are no leaves budding on the trees just yet. Afterall, it is only mid-March. But There is sleet coming down with mixes of freezing rain and it is 32 degrees out. Yeah, that is 32 degrees above zero! The drizzle is slushing up the driveway and melting the snow in the grassy areas of the yard. And I can see the leftover corn stalks from last Fall when they were chopped down to a foot high. True signs of Minnesota coming out of her long winter of a frozen tundra and getting ready for her lush green warm mosquito infested fields of the upcoming Spring. And warmth of eventual Summer. I can feel it, and I can smell it. And I can feel the excitement filling up inside for Spring chores around the farm.

In the past, around this time of year, I would always have a good case of cabin fever going on in my life. You know that feeling that winter will never leave, it will always be below zero and you will constantly be walking like a penguin to avoid slipping and falling on the ice, which I have managed to do 3 times so far this winter. But this year, maybe it was the 3 week reprieve we got in Texas, but my cabin fever is pretty well tamed for once in my life. Or maybe it is just that as I age, time goes faster and the seasons pass by more quickly. 

But as I sit here looking out at the drizzle and sleet, I am starting to think of the things that need to be done as we unthaw from 6 months of winter. Things like plan the garden and figure out maybe a new garden area. And cleaning the yard from the winter winds whipping across the fields. And the least favorite chore for us…those landmines the dogs have left out in the yard all winter. The dreaded scooping with the pooper scooper. That chore always makes me long for a chihuahua and a mini poodle. But the reality is we have big dogs that do big jobs in the yard. And it takes many wheel barrels of hauling it out of the yard. But even that task after a long winter inside won’t deter me from the beauty of the upcoming Spring.

As the days start to get longer, and the weather warmer, I am excited to hop on my bike for a long ride down some country roads, prepare the garden for tomato plants and watch the corn pop up out in the field. Winter, you have been a long one. Until the ground is thawed and we are able to do all those chores, I will sit here in the kitchen at the table with my tackle box listening to the new Winter Storm Warning that was issued for tonight and tomorrow. Sorting and compiling a list of what needs to be restocked in my tackle box, I will sip on my mug of hot tea, longing for open waters, a sunny day and floating in the kayak on a calm clear Minnesota lake. Only another few months away…


No comments:

Post a Comment