Sunday, January 22, 2023

From a Distance...Monday Morning Music



As any one of you knows who has been listening and following this podcast or our blog the past couple years, you know I love to make music with my grandkids. Over the past few years I have taught some to play the guitar and the ukulele and even the mandolin and strum stick. While some were living with us we would get together every Monday morning for music time. 

Since everyone moved out, the house has been rather quiet in regards to making music together. The physical distance has been keeping us from making music these days. And I have to say, I miss it terribly. So my grand-daughter in California and I decided to do something about it a few weeks ago. 

While it is way harder than sitting in a room together, we have been sending a song back and forth to each other to add a recording to it. It is our first attempt and it has been quite interesting to say the least. 

Since I am not a music producer it is nowhere near great, but it has fulfilled coping with that sense of loss some of us have had with everyone out of state and unable to make music together. It started with the song and learning it, then recording the guitar and me singing it. After that the file was sent to the grand-daughter to sing along, and extra tracks of mandoline, ukulele, harmonica, and strum stick (much like the sound of a banjo with only 3 strings) were added. 

This song is a very old song called Angel Band, taken from some old Hymnals. It was recorded by Ralph Stanley years ago. This is our long distance version with my grand-daughter, Bonnie, out in California. We enjoyed the facetime together while we figured it out. I Hope you can enjoy the song and process of long distance Monday Morning Music.

You can listen to the recording over on the website: www.solidrockminnesota.com

Angel Band
Jefferson Hascall

My  latest sun is sinking fast      
My race is nearly run
My strongest trials they now have passed
My Triumph now has begun

Oh, come, the angel band
Come and around me, stand
Oh bear me away on your snow white wings
To my immortal home… 
  
Oh bear my longing heart to Him
Who bled and died for me                              
Whose blood now cleanses all from sin           
And gives me Victory

I’ve almost gained my heavenly Home     
My spirit softly sings         
The Holy Ones behold they come         
and I hear the sound of wings…

No comments:

Post a Comment