Sunday, October 24, 2021

Monday Morning Music: "I've Been Everywhere"

We pretty much took the Summer off from Monday Morning Music and since then ½ the grandkids haved moved to El Paso. Being that the other grandkids live 45 minutes away, they weren't here on Monday mornings often, but we would get together some afternoons and do music. This Fall after we both are retired, we plan to drive up once a week on Tuesdays to do music together while my Best Half sits and taps his foot to the rumbling music. We are calling it Tuesday 2PM Tunes. There will be plenty of kids to play music and some of the younger ones will begin learning how to play ukulele or percussion instruments. While we don’t always sound fantastic, the love of making music is there amidst the crew. And with boy’s voices and changing voices it should prove to be a lot of fun getting together.

This is an old Johnny Cash version of the song “I’ve Been Everywhere” that the kids listened to and wanted to learn. They listened to the song, read the words as fast as they could and decided that they wouldn’t play any instruments as it was going to take full concentration on the singing. So they let me join them on guitar. We also decided we were going to give it one shot and record it and call it good enough. They were excited to do it as it counted as music class and geography/ social studies as we talked about all the towns in the song. I hope to someday teach them the one that goes “I was standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona”...

Here is 16 year old Bonnie and 15 year old Eyasu singing “I’ve Been Everywhere” . Go to our podcast and turn it way up to feel the beat:) Enjoy. 


I’ve Been Everywhere 

Lyrics by Geoff Mack


I was totin' my pack along the dusty Winnemucca road,

When along came a semi with a high an' canvas-covered load.

"If you're goin' to Winnemucca, Mack, with me you can ride."

And so I climbed into the cab and then I settled down inside.

He asked me if I'd seen a road with so much dust and sand.

And I said, "Listen, I've traveled every road in this here land!"

chorus:

I've been everywhere, man.

I've been everywhere, man.

Crossed the desert's bare, man.

I've breathed the mountain air, man.

Of travel I've had my share, man.

I've been everywhere.

I've been to:

Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota,

Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota,

Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma,

Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma,

Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador, Amarillo,

Tocapillo, Baranquilla, and Perdilla, I'm a killer. I've been everywhere man...chorus

I've been to:

Boston, Charleston, Dayton, Louisiana,

Washington, Houston, Kingston, Texarkana,

Monterey, Faraday, Santa Fe, Tallapoosa,

Glen Rock, Black Rock, Little Rock, Oskaloosa,

Tennessee to Tennesse Chicopee, Spirit Lake,

Grand Lake, Devils Lake, Crater Lake, for Pete's sake...I've been everywhere man...chorus

I've been to:

Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, Ombabika,

Schefferville, Jacksonville, Waterville, Costa Rica,

Pittsfield, Springfield, Bakersfield, Shreveport,

Hackensack, Cadillac, Fond du Lac, Davenport,

Idaho, Jellico, Argentina, Diamantina,

Pasadena, Catalina, see what I mean-a...I've been everywhere man...chorus

I've been to:

Pittsburgh, Parkersburg, Gravelbourg, Colorado,

Ellensburg, Rexburg, Vicksburg, Eldorado,

Larimore, Atmore, Haverstraw, Chatanika,

Chaska, Nebraska, Alaska, Opelika,

Baraboo, Waterloo, Kalamazoo, Kansas City,Sioux City, Cedar City, Dodge City,

what a pity...I've been everywhere men...chorus


No comments:

Post a Comment